Since 2010 I implement Service Learning in the Course “Didactical planning, analysis, teaching, evaluation of learning situations“ in the degree program “Bachelor education/adult education/further education” at the University Duisburg-Essen. It is an example for an disciplinary course, where service learning is required.
The curricular learning goal is, that students learn about didactical planning instruments and theories. Also it is set up as a project course, where students should act in a didactical situation and use the didactical theories and reflect on them. There is a wide range of Service Learning Projects in the course realized with community partners. For e.g:
- Anti Violence Training, Reading Skills Training &Team Spirit Training at Primary Schools;
- Walker training & Memory Workout for Residents in a retirement home;
- Team Building Training for School Integration Assistants;
- Job Application Training for Refugees;
- Teacher Trainings „What is Sexual Abuse?“ at Primary Schools;
- Making paper out of natural fibre – Youth Center;
- Cooking Class – Residential home for mentally ill adults;
- Communication Training – Geriatric Nurses;
- Reflection Circles for Volunteers working for Refugees;
- Waste Separation in Germany Language Cafe/ Refugees;
- Women Book Circle for unaccompanaid refugee;
- Evaluation of exhibition concept “Yewish culture”;
- Project Inclusive University; etc.
Feel free to contact me. I’ m curious for exchange on the topic of SL in HE.
Year: 2010/2012 – Present
Institution: University of Duisburg-Essen
Person in charge: Dr. Cornelia Arend-Steinebach
# of students: 60
Interaction with beneficiaries: Face-to-face
Academic Degree: Undergraduate
Community Service Area & ODS: Cultural diversity | Reducing inequalities | Quality education